Special Exhibits Membership Information About the Dodge County Historical Society

Evangelical Lutheran Church Steeple
Stained Glass from the Evangelical Lutheran Church
Stained Glass from the Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Steeple Story


On February 18, 1860, Theodore Heath purchased the Sager Hall on James Street across the road from the current St. Peter's School.

The hall was remodeled adding a steeple. The new house of
worship became the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

Over the following 30 years, the congregation grew far beyond the capacity of the James Street Church. In 1892, a nearly unanimous vote by the worshipers determined a new church was in order.

In March of 1893, under the name of St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran Church, the new house of worship was dedicated
at its new home on Center Street. The congregation
would later reincorporate under its current name of
First Evangelical Lutheran Church. The church was now
large enough to serve its congregation. The building comprising an area of 44 x 106 feet including a spire
reaching a height of 114 feet.

More Images
click on any image for a larger version


Back of Steeple

Inside of Steeple

Steeple Article
Home Page Permanant Exhibits / Special Exhibits About Us Contact Us Join the Historical Society

webpage design and hosting by Monumental Hosting